Registering as a temporary resident (non-resident) of the Netherlands

Will you be staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months? For example to work or to study? Then you can register as a temporary resident (non-resident) in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI, Registratie Niet-Ingezetenen). The RNI is part of the Personal Records Database (BRP, Basisgegistratie Personen). 


When you register with the RNI, you will receive a citizen service number (BSN, Burgerservicenummer). You need this personal social security number for your contacts with the Dutch government, for example concerning health care, buying or renting a house, taxes, work and education. 

RNI municipalities

You can register in one of 19 municipalities in the Netherlands with a counter for non-residents. These RNI municipalities are:

Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo, Westland and Zwolle.

To register, make an appointment with one of these municipalities. You will need to register in person.

Registering in Zwolle

If you want to register in Zwolle, you can go to:

Stadskantoor (Municipal Office), Lübeckplein 2, 8017 JZ Zwolle.

The public service desks are open by appointment on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 08:00 to 16:30 and on Tuesday and Thursday from 08:00 to 19:00.

For an appointment at the public service desk you can contact us by telephone number 14038. From abroad, please call +31 38 498 31 38.

You can call the municipality of Zwolle on Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:00.

Further contact information: Contact

What to bring to your appointment

A valid identification document (passport or identity card). Without a valid identification document you cannot be registered. 

Your address in your home country (preferably typed). A home address in the Netherlands is not required. 

How long will it take? 

Registering will take approximately 10 minutes.

Are there fees?

Registering is free of charge.

Registration of a minor in the RNI

The following conditions apply to the registration of a minor: 

The child (including babies) must be present at the appointment. It must bring a valid identification document and not be eligible for registration as a resident. 

Children under 16 must also receive written and signed consent for registration from both parents (or legal representative). In addition, they must bring a copy of a valid proof of identity/passport of both parents.

You must also bring a birth certificate.
This way we can determine whether the (present) adult is indeed a parent or legal representative.
In case of supervision, this may also be a statement from a court.

If the birth certificate is in a language other then English, French or German, it has to be translated into Dutch by a sworn translator.

Foreign documents must be legalised.

Registering of groups by employers

As an employer, would you like to register a group of more then 8 people simultaneously?
Please contact one of our account managers: 

Martin Drost, e-mail:
Mirjam Borst, e-mail:
Manon van Schot, e-mail

More information

You can find more information about registering as a non-resident on the website of the Dutch government: 

Are you staying in the Netherlands for more than 4 months? 

Then you have to register as a resident of the Netherlands in the municipality where you live or where you are going to live.